This recipe was shared by Carrie, mum of two girls with a love of all good food living in North of Sydney, Australia.
Carrie’s recipes are so full of flavour, you must give them a try, follow her for more ideas on Instagram @ourspicedkitchen
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (you can sub for coconut oil if you prefer)
- 1 large red onion
- 1 large brown onion
- 1/2 head crushed garlic
- 2 tbs finely chopped ginger
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 2 1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 3 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 litre veg stock
- 1 finely diced yellow capsicum
- 2 eggplants chopped into about 1cm cubes
- 1 cup chopped pumpkin (1cm cubes)
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2/3 cup dried red lentils
- 1/3 cup dried brown lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 4 tsp turmeric
- fresh coriander
For the chickpea pancakes;
- 1/2 cup gram flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- handful fresh coriander
- olive oil / coconut oil
- Bring a large pot up to med/high heat and add a good lug of olive oil (2 to 3tbs), add the onions, garlic and ginger.
- Stir this constantly until it becomes translucent, then add the cumin, ground coriander seeds, yellow mustard seeds and continue stirring for another min or so till it becomes fragrant.
- Then add 1 ltr of chicken or veg stock, the yellow capsicum, eggplants, pumpkin, cauliflower, chopped tomatoes, red and brown lentils, 1 cup water, chili flakes (for flavor not heat, add extra for heat) and turmeric.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce temp to a simmer.
- Cook for about 2 hrs ensuring the brown lentils are cooked through and the eggplant is meltingly soft.
For the Chickpea pancakes (Make 2 large or 4 small);
- tip 1/2 cup of chickpea flour into a large bowl.
- Add 2/3 cup of water slowly, whisking as you go.
- Add about a 1/2 tsp of sea salt and a small handful of coriander.
- Heat up a frying pan, add olive oil/coconutoil to pan and then ladle in the mix.
- Sprinkle some chili flakes on the upside.
- Leave till the under side has gone crispy and brown.
- Flip and cook until the other side is crispy and brown.