Hands up if you’ve been guilty of this at some point in your life?
It’s ok no one’s judging here .. we are all human and craving social acceptance is in our nature.
Continual comparison however, is something we should train ourselves to avoid at all costs; nothing positive can come of it.
A few negatives that come to mind …
- We could very easily end up resenting someone “we are up against”
- It causes unnecessary stress
- We lose focus on what really matters
Instead of worrying what others are up to, why not shift our energy to bettering ourselves?
Here are a few tips I like to remind myself of when I catch myself in the act ….
- Nothing compares to YOU; You are unique, with your own story, on your own little journey. The only person you should be comparing yourself to is “yesterday’s you” – how far have you come? what have you learned? what have you achieved?
- Nobody is perfect; Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses, everyone is trying to do the best they can with whatever they have just like you!
- Positive vibes only; Instead of being jealous, negative or critical – try complimenting others instead! Be genuinely happy for their achievements. Refreshing right? Trust me, you will feel so much better on the inside.
- Inspire me; There will always be someone who does something better than you and that’s OK – let them be your inspiration to work harder at improving yourself. Shift your focus inwards, onto the things you can actually control and work at them in order to be the best version of yourself!
And finally, why would we want to be like someone else anyway? Why the pressure to be less individual?
Let’s not kill creativity, different outlooks and fresh ideas – let’s all dare to be ourselves! #itspersonal